Thursday, June 14, 2007

Updates on the important stuff

Update #1: Fender Bender
This afternoon, I brought my car to a body shop for an estimate. The damage is pretty minor and looks mostly superficial -- scrapes in the paint and a couple of small dents.

To my shock, the estimate is just over $2,000. I'm a little uncomfortable about telling the older gentleman who hit me -- he was an apologetic retiree with Disabled Veteran plates and still wearing his Red Cross name tag, presumably on his way home from volunteering somewhere.

I'm pretty confident that the estimate is inflated. The body shop knows that either he'll pay it himself, or he'll let insurance handle it -- in which case a claims adjuster would undoubtedly negotiate the cost downward. I may get a second estimate before I call him.

Update #2: Eyeballs
Shortly after I got home from Lenscrafters the other day, I noticed that my new glasses have two shiny objects embedded on each temple-piece. I'm still not sure if they are shiny metal or some kind of rhinestone, but this much I know: They are women's frames.

In my defense, I spent most of my time at Lenscrafters looking into a mirror while wearing various frames, so I was concentrating on the frontal view and never really looked at the temples until I got home. I'm about 75% sure that I'll take advantage of Lenscrafter's 30-day guarantee and return them, but I haven't ruled out the possibility of prying out the shiny objects and keeping them.

Feel free to offer advice in the comments.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't think you should return the glasses, nor do I think you should pry out the rhinestones. I think that wearing women's frames should become your "thing." It's kind of bad-ass. I mean, what kind of person would wear women's frames if he wasn't tough enough to take the verbal (and maybe even physical) abuse that would be sure to follow such a decision?

"Yeah, that's right. Those are rhinestones, and these are women's frames. And the last guy who snickered about it now has to explain that a guy in ladies glasses kicked his ass."

Anonymous said...

To make a fair judgement, I think you need to post a picture of yourself with the glasses on, so all of your readers can determine how manly or un-manly you look.

P.S. Enjoy your first Father's Day!

Anonymous said...

You just might be girly enough to pull those off....

Unknown said...

So the brand of glasses is MISSterious, eh?