Friday, June 1, 2007

120 Reunion! or: Memorial Day weekend festivities

Last weekend, Rachel's old post-college apartment had a reunion of sorts at our house. Her roommates, Stephanie and Jessica, along with Jessica's husband Justin, came to stay with us for the weekend and to attend a friend's wedding in DC.

Seth had lots of fun playing with all of them. It was fun to have a reunion of 120 University Road. Although Stephanie, Jessica, and Rachel actually lived there, Justin and I were honorary roommates too.

At one point during the weekend, Stephanie suggested that I plant a vegetable or herb garden. It's an idea I've thought about before but never really had the motivation. After they left, I decided to actually pursue it. I knew I had some basil seeds somewhere in the house, and there's a perfect spot outside the kitchen window.

Yesterday, I went to The Home Depot and bought, among other things, a large bag of potting soil. I looked for herbs in their nursery, but they didn't look great and I brought home one tiny, sad looking parsley plant.

Lo and behold* -- today the mailman delivers a gift from our weekend houseguests: An herb garden kit, with seeds for about a dozen different plants. I'm very excited and will try to get around to planting this weekend. Stephanie and Jessica and Justin - you guys rock!


*I've always wanted to use these as names for our children, although we missed the opportunity with Seth. But someday, I'll say, "These are our children, Lo and Behold." Or better, "Lo and Behold! It's dinnertime!" (Note: Both of these instances will occur while Seth is at sleep-away camp.)

No comments: