Monday, June 18, 2007

I hate Delaware

Yesterday, the family unit drove back home from New Jersey. We got an early start and all was going relatively well... until Delaware.

Interstate 95, which runs from Florida to Maine, happens to run through Delaware for about a 12-mile stretch. Delaware, of course, siezed on the opportunity to rip off passers-through and built a toll booth.

I generally hate the concept of toll roads. But my complaint isn't the fact that Delaware chose to declare their stretch of I-95 the "Delaware Turnpike" and impose a $3 toll. My issue is that they built a toll booth that is entirely inadequate to handle the flow of traffic.

Approaching the toll booth, it took us nearly an hour to go about five miles. There were no accidents or lane closures - this was simply the backup for the toll booth. As a result of the delay, we had to make an extra stop to soothe and feed a very upset Seth and got home much later otherwise expected.

I confirmed on a map that it's fairly simple to avoid the Delaware toll, and I have no intention of ever giving that lame excuse for a state my $3 again. But I would propose that they either:
  • Spend some of the copious toll income to expand the toll booth to more lanes, OR
  • Pass legislation that the tolls may not be collected (everyone just drives right through) any time that traffic approaching the toll exceeds 2 miles


While crawling along at six miles per hour along with thousands of other cars and trucks, it also crossed my mind that this poorly-designed toll is the cause of millions of tons of excess pollution. I wonder if the Sierra Club would bring legal action against the evil Republic of Delaware.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What are those directions to avoid the Delaware toll??

Joe said...

If Newark, DE is half as dangerous as Newark, NJ I'd stay on the turnpike.