Friday, June 1, 2007

The Hat Tip

As a novice blogger, I didn't know all the rules of blogging etiqutte. Thanks to Shappy for introducing me to the Hat Tip (HT), a blogging principle without which there'd be anarchy.

The preceding sentence was an example of a HT -- basically, it's a friendly and informal way of citing your sources. If someone tells you something funny that would make an entertaining blog entry, don't act like it was your own idea.

So here's my question. Say I'd like to blog about a Japanese baseball player with an entertaining name.

Do I owe a HT to...
...Shappy for introducing me to Deadspin?
...Google Reader for giving me the Deadspin RSS feed?
...Deadspin and their Blogdome feature for linking to the article on Armchair GM?
...Armchair GM for actually posting his bio?

No comments: