Wednesday, May 23, 2007

What's Niue?

I came across this on wikipedia. Niue is an island nation in the South Pacific, independent but under protectorate of New Zealand. It's 100 square miles, and looks like a classic Polynesian paradise, complete with stunning coastal features.

From the CIA World Factbook:
The sale of postage stamps to foreign collectors is an important source of revenue.

I wonder what it would be like to spend a week there. There's only one flight per week, so I guess that's the minimum stay. And there are fewer than 90 hotel rooms on the island. I can't decide whether this would be an amazing vacation, or if I'd be bored silly by day two. There are probably a thousand islands like this. Seems like the type of vacation that's worth trying one time during your life. Maybe someday...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looks very promising. My only problem with it is that I'd have to fly half-way around the world to get there. If I'm gonna fly to New Zealand, I think I'd prefer to just check that out for a week rather than hop a jet for another long flight. Can you find a destination that offers unspoiled rainforests and total isolation somewhere off the coast of Virginia?

Flipper said...

I might argue that both New Zealand and Niue are, in fact "somewhere off the coast of Virginia."