Wednesday, May 9, 2007

Redep-what?

Geez, some people. You go a couple of days without a blog entry and your fans turn on you in a heartbeat.

Anyway, I haven't blogged in a few days because I've been busy, and besides, I haven't had much news to share. That all changed today, because I'm...

Redeployed!

Redep-what? Redeployed. It's my company's fancy word for laid off. Sounds much fancier. Personally, I think it's a petty way of stealing military lingo to make things sound more official. Soldiers get redeployed (which, oddly enough, means they have a job to do). Office workers just get canned.

I really can't complain. I was more-than-ready to make a career change, and my soon-to-be-former employer is quite generous with redeployment. Probably because they have enough disgruntled customers out there; they don't need disgruntled ex-employees too.

In any event, I could possibly remain on the payroll for several more months, at the end of which I'd get a severance package. So it's a pretty good deal -- basically, getting paid to look for a job, then getting paid extra when I find one.

The bad news? I'm not such a fan of writing cover letters. The good news? I'm hoping to find a job that's a much better fit for me, and my faithful audience will probably get to indulge in more frequent blog entries.

And for the record: Blogging during working hours was not cited as a reason for my termination!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

package, not pacakge

Flipper said...

Thanks. Fixed the mistake, my mysterious mistress of misspellings!

Anonymous said...

Such a shame for this to happen right as the weather is turning nicer, you have plans for a big vacation, etc. Life is tough! Anway....congrats on your termination - - is that appropriate to say? Who knows! Best of luck to you in your quest for employment! My old company didn't call it severance and called it "job search" or something like that and I got to keep my computer, email, everything until my time was up or until I got a job offer somewhere. Fortunately for me, my old HR director was going to the same company I eventually went to and he directed me on how to get the maximum of my "job search" payments so I was covered until right before I started working here. Anyway....good luck!