Monday, May 21, 2007

Busy weekend!

The Boy is becoming quite the social butterfly, as evidenced by his busy weekend. For starters, his grandparents came in for a visit -- ostensibly to see "us" collectively, but we're under no misconceptions about the real draw in our home. Saturday afternoon, we had a few friends over for a barbecue* and Seth was, as usual, the life of the party. While I'd like to think my grilled chicken was worth the price of admission, I'm pretty sure that Seth is more memorable. Finally, on Sunday, we joined up with a new parents' group that Rachel is involved with for a picnic at Burke Lake Park. About a dozen babies, ranging from about 3 months to about 8 months of age, with all of their parents, strollers, teethers, and diaper bags in tow. It was interesting to note that (despite the week-by-week baby development authorities) there is only a very loose relationship between age and relative size. There were kids Seth's age over 20 pounds, and others his age who look like he did 3 months ago.

This morning, the grandparents said their tearful goodbyes (I don't need to tell you toward whom those were addressed) and Seth headed back to day care. I've never stayed around for long when I drop him off, but I wonder if he's the life of the party there, too.

*I use "Barbecue" liberally. To a connoisseur, it would imply a many-hours-long roast of meat over indirect heat. In reality, I was simply grilling burgers, chicken and hot dogs (not barbecuing). I offer this disclaimer in deference to those to know the true meaning of "a barbecue" -- I just use the term because it sounds so much less pathetic than having "a few friends over for a grill-out".

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very nice. What's the * next to barbecue mean?

Anonymous said...

Thanks.

Meg Butler said...

Glad you clarified -- barbecue is a noun, a substance that can be bought and sold by the pound.