Wednesday, May 2, 2007

The Boy's got an appetite

One of the remarkable things about babies is how much they eat. Relative to their size, it's really pretty remarkable.

Seth's been eating about 5 or 6 bottles a day, each around 6.5 ounces. That's roughly 30-40 ounces per day. Or, as I like to think of it, 3 cans of Coke. I'm pretty sure I've gone 24 hours on roughly the same amount of nourishment in the past. And my weight is more than an order of magnitude greater than his.

Anyway, he's been eating more frequently lately, so we decided to experiment this week. On Tuesday, we sent him to daycare with 9 ounce bottles instead of the usual 6.5 ounces. Of course, he drank 3 bottles dry. I guess that's his way of saying "Finally, you people got the message!"

To further confirm his satisfaction with 9 ounce bottles, The Boy decided to sleep until after 8:00 this morning. That's 1-2 hours later than usual. And he went to bed on time, before 8:00 PM. So we've learned our lesson -- he's graduated to the range of 40-50 ounces per day. And that's with a body weight of around 15 or 16 lb. He's also started Rice Cereal, although he doesn't seem to be a big fan... and we cooked up some sweet potato mush that he may get to try this week.

In other news, I came home this morning and grabbed a Dannon yogurt, coffee-flavored, from the fridge. Now I have no one to blame but myself, since I bought the stuff... but boy, is this a bad choice for a yogurt flavor. It tastes like bad coffee, and looks just like something we'd find in The Boy's diaper. Unlike egg and bread -- two breakfast foods that combine deliciously in breakfast sandwiches -- coffee and yogurt are much better as separate items.

No comments: