Thursday, March 6, 2008

Where've I been?

I've heard that question from several of my readers.

There are several answers. Or at least, several excuses. Here they are:

1. Work
As I noted previously, I started a new job in January. Although it started off a little slowly as I ramped up to speed (that's the reason you got two new blog posts in my first couple of weeks of work), it's now keeping me pretty busy. I'm very happy with it. There's a moderate amount of travel required, but the primary impact on the blog stems from my reluctance to blog while at work. Did I mention that I share an office with my boss? (He's on vacation this week; ergo, the current update.)

2. Classes
Not my classes, mind you... the wife's. She decided that teaching full-time and raising a toddler wasn't keeping her busy enough ;-) and subsequently enrolled in two online courses through Penn State University. After this semester, she'll have completed 40% of a certificate program in Family Literacy. Although she enjoys the classes, it's keeping her overwhelmingly busy. I've been trying to help out around the house by cooking and cleaning more often. Impact on the blog: Because she's doing classwork at the computer almost every night, I rarely have time to veg in front of the screen. Possible solution: Blog from my Crackberry (deserving of its own post), if my thumbs can handle it.

3. $%!(# Facebook
Facebook is an internet phenomenon, but that's old news. I signed up a few weeks back -- for work, incidentally, but that's a long story -- and I can now confirm several things. First and foremost, Facebook nourishes itself by feeding on its members' free time. It's ravenous in this regard. Second, all that "big brother" stuff? It's true. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised to find out that Facebook is actually a DARPA project so the government can easily keep tabs on citizens. The data contained therein is priceless: who you affiliate with, what groups you join and interests you express, etc. So why am I still using Facebook? It might be the greatest example to date of the transformative nature of the internet in social terms. The internet has minimized so many barriers, not the least of which are geographic and demographic. It's like being constantly in touch with all of the people you care about (well, the ones who use Facebook), regardless of where they live or how long it's been since you've seen each other. Impact on the blog: I'm trying hard not to let it become a replacement!

So in short, I'll try to overcome these hurdles and blog more. I miss you!

No comments: