Tuesday, March 11, 2008

All that and a bag of chips

Ever since I started my current job, a friend* has been nagging me to try The Greek Deli (that's the name, not a description) just up the block.

Today, after two months, I finally tried it out.

Here's what I knew before going in. First of all, there is always a line out the door at lunchtime. Second, they have 3 tables on the sidewalk, but most people get take-out, so it's perfect for grabbing a quick bite and returning to the office - literally across the street. Third, almost every mention of The Greek Deli that you might find on the internet contains high praise for the food, which includes some vegetarian options.

Having experienced it myself, here's my review:
Although it seems a little Soup Nazi ish to onlookers, the line moves fairly quickly and the staff are very polite (interrogative: "and for you, my friend?"). Fortunately, the line is always deep enough that there's time to look over the menu and check out the day's specials before you're called upon to order, which can happen when you're still 5 people deep from the counter. If you like licorice, be sure to grab a free ouzo candy from the bowl while in line and save it for later.
I was thinking about being adventuresome with my order today, but the menu's characterization of their tuna pita as "famous" won me over. When I got back to my office and tried it, the food did the same. Delicious tuna salad, with perfect consistency, atop very fresh lettuce, dill, tomatoes, and feta cheese, wrapped in a warm, soft pita.

My only regret today was grabbing a bag of Utz chips to go with my pita, instead of a side of homemade vegetarian soup or dolmas.

It will be hard to resist hitting up the Greek Deli at least once a week. At $6.70 for a tuna pita ($8.20 with a bag of chips plus tax), it's completely reasonable by DC standards but not cheap.

My list of things to try next is almost long enough to rotate something different each week until my office relocates across town this summer:
Tuna Gyro
Falafel
Spanokopita
Veggie Pita
Soups
Salads
Occasional Salmon specials
Veggie platter

For my DC readers, you really must try it for yourself. 19th Street, between L&M.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad to see you back! Your faithful readers have missed you.

Glad you enjoyed your new lunch option, but as tasty as it sounds, I'm not quite sure it can beat the wonderful and tasty outdoor Milk Street Cafe in the Park here in Boston. BBQ beef, hot dogs, chicken sandwiches...mmm. It makes me sad to say that I've now been working not across the street from it than I ever was. : (

Anonymous said...

Future related blog topic:

Better falafel: The Greek Deli or BreadLine?