Tuesday, June 10, 2008

My dream car.

I admit, I've always had a thing for Porsche 914/916's. They're a dorky pseudo-sports car built in the early 70's by Volkswagen. Only in the US was it sold as a Porsche - the rest of the world knew this car as only a VW.

There's something about the low-slung, tidy lines and tiny footprint that just says "street-legal go-cart". I've lusted for a 914 for years, and only self-restraint has prevented me from shelling out a pretty modest amount of cash for one. (One can be had in decent running condition for less than $5000.)

Of course, the problem with a car such as this isn't the purchase price; it's the maintenance costs. 914s are notorious for rust, especially on and around the battery tray. In addition, the mid-engine layout makes it difficult and expensive to do any significant engine work. The engine is located very low, just behind the seats - there are storage trunks both fore and aft, with only a small hatch granting access to the top of the engine for things like adding oil.

I'm happy to report that someone -- MIT engineers, no less -- had the vision to complete the perfect Porsche 914. They removed all the internal combustion bits, and converted this 914 to be 100% electric.
After a five hour charge from a standard wall-socket, this electric 914 would have a range of about 130 miles and a top speed of around 100mph - the latter probably as good or better than the original boxer-4 engine.

I think I'd have a hard time convincing MIT to gift this car to me, and being one-of-a-kind, I doubt it'll show up on eBay anytime soon. But if you, dear reader, have any connections at MIT, feel free to submit my name when they eventually look to dispossess this fine automobile.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Y'know, I was wondering when MIT was finally gonna prove its worth. I think Boston (the band, not the city) was the last worthwhile MIT product.