Wednesday, October 24, 2007

The Nutmeg State

As my job search continues, a very enticing prospect has come up... in Connecticut. It's potentially a very interesting job, a great career step, and perhaps even a chance to work with a great colleague from a previous job. In addition, it might be the most lucrative job offer I'm likely to get.

But Connecticut? I have nothing against it - I've enjoyed the time I've spent there. I don't actually have as much concern about living in the Nutmeg State as I have about moving there. A lot of issues to weigh:
  • We have great friends here
  • We know very few people there
  • We're generally very happy with the life we've found here
  • It would be nearly impossible to sell our house right now
  • We HATE moving
So, if a job offer is forthcoming from Connecticut, it'll be time for some serious soul-searching and very tough decisions.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

How can I not respond to this post?? Connecticut was a wonderful place to grow up and as you know, I have many, many great memories from my childhood in Trumbull. Hey, I even have great memories of good times from my adult life in Trumbull and I hope you do too! It's close enough to NY and Boston to do day trips and you there are lots of nice things to do in CT too!

Anyway....to respond to your specific concerns - -

1. You had great friends in Boston too but you still chose to leave us. : ( Those that are true friends will remain your friends no matter where you live.

2. You will meet people just as you met people in VA. Plus, you'll be closer to those of us still in Boston and Rachel's family in NJ.

3. An important point, although you have not been so happy with your employment situation (when you have been employed) and this is also an important factor in your happiness in life.

4. Another important point to which I have no rebuttal.

5. Yes, you may hate moving, but you still do it when it's necessary. Do you think that your current home will be your home forever or do you think you'll outgrow it within a few years as your family continues to grow?

I also understand that moving for a job is a big deal. What if you don't like it? What if your new boss/coworkers suck? What if your position gets cut? How sure are you about this before you take that plunge and relocate your family? Ideally, if you were to get a job offer, you'll have to look into the possibilities of telecommuting (perhaps with the potential for going to CT a few days per month) at the start. If everything works out well and you love it, then maybe somewhere down the road is when you consider actually moving.

Those are just a few of my thoughts to start. Get the job offer first, then you can take it to the next step.
- Aliza

Anonymous said...

I agree with Aliza - first GET THE JOB!