Friday, December 21, 2007

Listening to an album

It occurs to me that with the ubiquity of digital music, people might not listen to albums straight through, beginning to end, ever again. Given, you can certainly do that on an iPod, but I much prefer to let the Shuffle function be my DJ.

For years, I listened to tapes and CDs as the artists made them. This resulted in an interesting phenomenon - when I heard certain songs, even out of context like on the radio, my brain expected the next song to be the song that followed on the album. One song just naturally let me to expect the next one in order.

Which leads me to a particularly odd moment. On occasion, after hearing Tom Petty's "Runnin' Down a Dream", the next thing on the Full Moon Fever album (CD version) pops into my brain. That is, Tom Petty's voice, speaking plainly:
"Hello, CD listeners. We've come to the point in the album where those listening on record or cassette will have to stand up, or sit down, and turn over the record, or tape. In fairness to those listeners, we will now take a few seconds before we begin side two. ... Thank you. Here's side two."

Sadly, that CD was among the several that I lost many years ago... so even if I buy the song download, I probably won't get to hear that extra bit (which wasn't a separate track on the album... just followed the song after a few seconds of silence).

Do you ever listen to an album straight through anymore?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's interesting that this happens to be today's entry. I'm in the process of deciding whether or not to purchase a thing-a-ma-jig (for a mere $400) that will allow me to copy my VINYL 33rpm, 45's, AND 78rpm RECORDS to CD without the aid of a computer. It plays records, CD's,(copies vinyl to CDs) and is also an AM/FM radio. Now I know everyone reading this is wondering why I would want to make CD's, why not just [somehow] transfer the vinyl to my iPod - well that's easy for you to say - however, I, being the NO. 1, that's NUMERO UNO, ECHAD, (spelling) - most technically challenged human on the face of the earth - that after 2, that's TWO, DOS, SHTIME (spelling), etc., etc., years, have not figured out how to use my iPod. Not that I haven't tried - actually, I took a one hour PRIVATE instructional lesson at the Apple store,(schlepped the computer and my iPod) not once but twice - and yet it, the iPod, sits in a closet, or on the counter, lonely, unloved, (actually, more accurately - hated), and un-used. Quite frankly, you, [and you all] know who you are - don't know what you're missing without vinyl. So, Flipper, I'm sure, if you search the internet, you'll be able to replace that CD, and it will be for you, like "old times".

Professor Batty said...

... I also could not "warm-up" to the iPod paradigm. I could make it work, but it was not fun- I'd much rather reach for a CD and let the poor band or producer who slaved away at creating an "album" have their say- not every album is great all the way through, but many are, if I want variety I'll listen to the radio...

P.S. I gave away my iPod!