Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Flippish Hen sighting!

Several of you have called me out for failing to follow through on my Flippish Hen promise.

Shappy correctly identified Ted Cox as the major league ballplayer who started his career with the longest streak of batting 1.000. Tangentially, I have to mention that I'm a little disappointed nobody has ever done better than 6 for 6. That's not even two straight games of perfect hitting. This is a record that's ripe for the breaking.

I know that Shappy isn't a man who is motivated by the glory of the Hen. No, he is happy to just know that baseball stats are being looked up and that google skills are being tested. But nonetheless, I'm a blogger of my word, and I promised a Flippish Hen.

So Shappy, here it is. Enjoy it. Savor it. And too bad you can't cook it this week, with the kitchen demolition and all.

PS - I'm still waiting for someone to find the pitcher who started his major league career with the longest 0.00 ERA streak.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The best I can do is give you the longest streak to start a career since 1957. Victor Cruz with 21.1 innings.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/pi/pstreak_finder.cgi#n1=&as=result_pitcher&offset=0&st=&firstgames=1&team_lg=&opp_lg=&HV=any&throws=any&Role=noGS&DEC=any&c3val=0&c4val=0&c1val=1&c2val=0&min_year_game=1957&max_year_game=1990&team_id=&opp_id=&game_site=&c3pstreak=R&c3gtlt=eq&c4pstreak=&c4gtlt=eq&c1pstreak=&c1gtlt=gt&c2pstreak=&c2gtlt=eq