Sunday, September 28, 2008

If I were running for President

Charlie Gibson: Forgive my bluntness, but you're a relative unknown on the national political scene. In what way do you feel that you are qualified to be President? Let's start with foreign policy experience.

Me: Charlie, that's a fine and fair question, and I am prepared to allay the voters' concerns in this area. Let me ask you a question. What do all foreign leaders have in common? Putin, Ahmawhatchamacallitajad, that Karzai guy, the Iraqi leaders? What do they all have in common? They all wear clothes. And I - this is important - I do my own laundry. I've washed clothes. I've dried clothes. I know how to fold a pair of slacks without losing the crease.

Charlie: I'm sorry, laundry?

Me: Look, Charlie, we all wear clothes. But having done laundry myself, I understand the inner workings. I know what makes these people tick.

Charlie: (bewildered) Umm... okay then. But in what ways are you prepared to deal with the current economic crisis?

Me: Charlie, I understand the predicament facing the middle class. I have a full and deep understanding of their situation. I've been there. I've done my own laundry, just as they do. And I want to make life better for the middle class, because they're essential to our economy. Under my administration, it'll be easier for the middle class to make ends meet. To put food on the table. To do a couple loads of permanent press without the colors running. Color-safe bleach isn't cheap, and I understand these needs far better than my opponent because I've been there.

No comments: